July has been busy for brick&batten. We have done designs from Connecticut to California! Subsequently, we’ve researched paint trends, hot accessories for your porch decor, found a new love for dark exterior paint, tried to hide those unsightly front loaders, and discovered reasons why now is a great time to paint your home’s exterior.
If you’re looking for simple changes to make a big impact on curb appeal, look no further! Sign-up on the brick&batten website to receive our weekly blog, coupons, and be alerted of contests for free stuff. However, if you’ve missed our blogs, check out what we’ve been working on this month.
The dreaded front loader! Yep…the dreaded garage that takes up roughly 35% of the front of your kick ass house! Whether it’s steel, aluminum, wood, or some other material, anything that owns that much storefront should look great.
Two schools of thought:
- Camouflage the door painting it to match your home’s exterior.
- Double down and make your garage doors beautiful and a focal point all their own.
What is the best garage material for your needs:
- Real wood carriage doors or wood composite: These doors are beautiful but may come with a heavier price tag due to their material and custom features. Real wood doors also need to be maintained more frequently.
- Steel: Steel is lower maintenance than wood but may rust or dent.
- Aluminum: Aluminum is a nice option for extra large double garage doors. They are lightweight and some are dent resistant.
- Vinyl: Known to be “kid friendly” because they are hard to dent or break; however, there are fewer style options.
The Little Summer Accessories for the Big Win
There is absolutely no reason to spend a fortune on an architect to rip your home apart, change your roof line, demolish your kitchen, and devour your free time wishing you could just go back to your peaceful life! It’s the little things that can make a huge difference in curb appeal and more importantly, your happiness.
- Front Porch Fan: A front porch fan will keep the bugs away and lower your porch temperature in the summer.
- Front Door Knocker: Your front door is the focal point of your home. A door knocker is an inexpensive way to add interest and appeal to your door.
- Comfy Porch Seating: Don’t sacrifice comfort for style. There’s no need!
- Outdoor Lanterns: Outdoor lanterns offer a nice glow, are easy to move around, and won’t break the bank.
- Decorative Pillows: Sometimes all you need are new decorative accent pillows to make your outdoor space look new again.
3 Pitfalls to Avoid When Choosing Exterior Paint Color
The front of your house is the first thing buyers see on your property. Consequently, first impressions create the “vibe” that every potential buyer or guest will feel before they step foot inside. Botch that…botch the entire experience. An external makeover can cost anywhere from $2000 to tens of thousands of dollars, depending on the scope of work, but will net your FAR more when done correctly. There are many ways to do this…but none so impactful as paint. Paint…when done correctly, will give you back every single dollar and then some.
Pitfall #1: Ignoring the fixed elements on your property. What color is your roof? Windows? Gutters? Neighbors’ homes?
Pitfall #2: Not taking into consideration what surface you are painting (stucco, brick, siding, etc.). Not all surfaces are created equal. Paint looks different on different textures.
Pitfall #3: Failing to pay attention to the sheen of the paint you are using. Bottom line, sheen enhances texture.
Back in Black
If painting the exterior of your house WHITE is Jake Ryan (he’s cute, we get it), then painting it BLACK is Kevin Bacon in Footloose. Better yet, Make that Ariel in Footloose dancing in the basement! Painting the exterior of your house black is a BOLD choice! People love to call this a “trend” and while it has gained popularity, painting a house black finds its roots long before now.
Things to keep in mind:
- Black has sneaky undertones.
- Dark colors like black have low light reflective value so it absorbs the heat(LRV).
- Black will emphasize textures and outline layers on your home’s surface.
3 Reasons to Paint the Exterior of Your House… NOW
Part of home ownership is taking care of your biggest investment. Painting the exterior of your home is one of the biggest things you can do to not only maintain the beauty, but protect your house from other issues. How do you know when it’s time?
- Bubbling or cracking, it needs to be dealt with right away before you have a bigger problem.
- Fading because of the sun or other weather elements. It is time to show your house some love.
- If you are preparing your home to sell, painting is an excellent return on investment; not to mention a great way to add curb appeal.
Don’t let August slip by without a virtual exterior design for your greatest investment…your home. Also, look for more blogs about exterior painting like a pro, fiber cement siding, and mid-century rooflines coming soon!
Subscribe for more content like this!